Re: Help with [] for defined types

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: Help with [] for defined types
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:57:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, David Bateman wrote:

> Take a look at the changes that just wented in to the octave CVS and the
> code protected by
>
> #ifdef HAVE_OCTAVE_CONCAT

David,

I'm trying work this (and also load-save); I have many questions;
perhaps you can help.

QUESTION 1:

I'm trying to get a working 'concat'. I have defined
    octave_sparse concat (const octave_sparse& ra,
                          const octave_sparse& rb,
                          const Array<int>& ra_idx)
and
    octave_sparse& octave_sparse::insert(  ...

However, I get:
$ echo 's=sparse(eye(2)); t=[s,s];' | octave -q
error: octave_base_value::resize (): wrong type argument `sparse'
error: octave_base_value::resize (): wrong type argument `<unknown type>'

This is similar to my problem in question #2.

QUESTION 2:

I have a working save_ascii, as well as what I think
   should be a working load_ascii.

   However, when I call 'load' I get this error

$ echo 'x=diag([1,2,3])*pi;s=sparse(x); save x s' | octave -q
$ cat x
  # Created by Octave 2.1.57, Tue Jul 27 16:06:41 2004 EST <address@hidden>
  # name: s
  # type: sparse
  # nnz: 3
  # rows: 3
  # columns: 3
  1 1 3.14159265358979
  2 2 6.28318530717959
  3 3 9.42477796076938
$ echo 'load x' | octave -q
  error: octave_base_value::load_ascii(): wrong type argument `<unknown type>'
  error: load: reading file x

Could these problems be because sparse inherits from
octave_base_value?  When I try to make it inheret from
something else, such as Marray2<double>, I get errors like

make_sparse.h:334: error: syntax error before `<' token
(line 334 is "octave_sparse : public Marray2<double>")

QUESTION 3:

I would like to get a working save to the mat-binary. Is this
the format from 'save_binary'?  If so, I can't see how to
get the custom variable headers that Matlab requires for its
sparse type.

QUESTION 4:

./configure in octave-forge doesn't seem to define
HAVE_OCTAVE_CONCAT. Am I doing something wrong?

--
Andy Adler