Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:47:15 -0600

David Bateman wrote:

On another point I can't see a UMFPACK rpm anywhere, and so if there is someone who won't to make such a package, I'm sure there'll be lots of octave users that would be very happy.

I'm intending to try packaging it, but it won't be right away. The Fedora distribution now has an official Fedora Extras. I have volunteered to maintain octave-forge and some of its dependencies. It looks like in order to cut down the number of CDs in the base distribution, they have removed octave, blas, and lapack from the base distribution for test release 1 of Fedora Core 4 (released yesterday). I am willing to take over maintainership of those as well, if they'll let me. If that happens, I'll ensure that FFTW is standard (it wasn't before), and eventually I'll add ATLAS (it's a trickier packaging problem). The delay right now is due to the fact that they are very slow about allowing new developers into their "trusted" circle, and they have been very vague about what you need to do to convince them. When I finally get the packages into Fedora Extras that I want, it should be as easy as on Debian to install octave and everything related.

-Quentin