DOCSTRINGS patch (was Re: default ~/.octaverc template)

From: Bill Denney
Subject: DOCSTRINGS patch (was Re: default ~/.octaverc template)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:37:11 -0400 (EDT)

Here is another possibility. Instead of generating this by hand, how about writing a function that will dump a list of all the built-in variables along with their documentation, formatted in a manner suitable for use as a ~/.octaverc file.

I started to try to do this, but found my skills lacking (at least it was beyond my easy ability), but while looking around, I found that the DOCSTRINGS file seemed like it could use some sprucing up. I modified the defvr strings for everything that was seen from "whos -builtins" as a constant from "Built-in Variable" to "Built-in Constant". I also added several see also sections and changed the documentation for program_name to just point to program_invocation_name.

Bill

--
"I can promise to be sincere, but not to be impartial."
  -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe