RE: fftw on cygwin

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: RE: fftw on cygwin
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:20:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Billings, Paul"

> FFTW bundled would be a huge improvement for the casual user or more
> importantly, the guy that is evaluating if he can abandon the Matlab
> "maintenance" fees.

Is it possible to compile a generic version that would work on any ia32
processor?  Or will it by necessity use processor instruction set extensions in
it's optimization process?

> Packaging ATLAS as well would be fantastic.  I've seen some of the list
> traffic about the difficulties in doing this.  Sure would be nice if it
> could work, but I don't think it likely.

The Debian approach to packaging Atlas looked promising, but turned out to be
too difficult to mimic. I include an option to build Atlas from source in the
cygwin lapack package.

JRP