RE: structure discussion

From: Billings, Paul
Subject: RE: structure discussion
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:20:20 -0400

[...]
> Both S(:).FIELD and S.FIELD produce comma-separated lists, which
> cannot appear by themselves on the left side of an assignment.
[... scalar assigned to comma-separated list in brackets]
> This construct does not work in Octave.  Doing it right does not seem

I believe you on the comma-seperated list in brackets not working, but
  S(:).FIELD = scalar
sure does when S already has the member FIELD.  I don't know the
implementation, but it certainly does do the job.  I think what we're
discussing is that it doesn't give the same results when FIELD is new
(i.e., not already in S).

Paul