Re: Successful compilation with MinGW

From: Timothée Lecomte
Subject: Re: Successful compilation with MinGW
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:40:00 +0100

Ok that is what I did suspect : you have been successful too ;-)

I think you are asking the good questions, and your choices seems reasonable. In particular waiting for the next version of octave-forge specifically designed for 2.9.x is appropriate.

I also noted that running in Msys rxvt gives strange results, with in particular no "octave>" at the start of the line. However I also noted that Windows gives an error if you close with the "X" the cmd.exe terminal... Too bad ! I agree that an IDE would be interesting, but I believe that it will be hard to achieve ... This IDE will first need something like a terminal, which sounds like duplicating already existing solutions (like rxvt), but what to include next ? A script editor ? Probably better to add octave syntax to an already exisiting editor with syntax hghlighting such as Notepad++. Buttons for direct access to functions like gnuplot under windows ? I really think that these buttons are not useful at all... The last thing that come to my mind is something like a functions list or a graphical help system, but again it's probably not worth it. To conclude, it would be ideal to fix rxvt or to find an simple and working equivalent.

By the way, I am not using windows on a regular basis (except for skype video, but that's off-topic...) but I was just sensible to the fact that octave would greatly benefit from a good package for windows without cygwin, which is great but probably doesn't fit windows users' habits. In my school labs, most computers are running windows and ... Matlab... and my friends' computers too... On the other hand, I have "converted" a friend to gnuplot, thanks to its windows binaries.

Regards,

Timothée

PS. : To finish with my remarks about octave, I have been surprised to see that octave uses Makefile.in's but not their higher-level conterparts, Makefile.am's. Is there a reason for it ?

David Bateman a écrit :

Yes John dropped glob/fnmatch as they are in libc on almost every system and felt no need to keep them just for MinGW. I equally took them from the latest glibc and compiled them separately for octave. I'll distribute it as a separate library beside octave/mingw when I do a release.

I have a version with all of the dependencies except ATLAS (can't build ATLAS under mingw, need cygwin/mingw and then can't do it under vmware since the cache size can't be detected) and all of octave-forge except the symbolic toolbox as CLN uses fancy templates that g++ under mingw doesn't like. For the ATLAS issue, I've in fact linked octave against an external version of lapack and blas, with the idea that I can post-hoc replace them with ATLAS versions. ATLAS is a bastard mix of blas and a few lapack functions and so I'll need to split the ATLAS build up and recreate compatible blas/lapack libraries to my current external versions, but this is down fairly often under Linux and is therefore a known solution. As for CLN, I think we'll be doing without at least at the outset.

I have every intention of doing an NSIS installer of octave/mingw in the near future, but needed several points resolved

1) I wanted to release a version against a full release of octave and octave-forge. I didn't want to do it against a CVS version as or a version that was heavily patched as this meant that it is unclear what version of the code a mingw user was using when reporting bugs. 2) Need an octave-forge release with the autoload to replace the symbolic links (mingw doesn't have sym links and copies the file instead) since as you notice octave is very large mainly due to multiple copies of the same file. This just when in to octave-forge and so the next release of octave-forge in the very near future together with a 2.9.5 release of octave and these two conditions will be met 3) I need to learn how to use NSIS as I've never built a windows installer package.. 4) Need to strip out some of the development libraries and headers to make the package a reasonable size.
5) I need more hours in my day than I currently have...

There are lots of little issues that you might not have noticed yet. The main one being DON'T use the msys rxvt to run octave in. This terminal is badly broken and readline completely messes up in an msys rxvt. Your options are then a cygwin rxvt, which kind of misses the point of doing a mingw build of octave in the first place, or use the dos cmd.exe terminal, which is what I'm currently doing, though you'll loose the capability to cut and paste. My thoughts were that this mingw release of octave is a temporary measure and what is really wanted under windows is a full IDE, and it that case it'll supply its own terminal capabilities to integrate with octave. Sorry but it won't be me to write such an IDE though, I don't even use windows, but recognize that octave needs a windows native version of to get proper acceptance in the windows world.

Cheers
David