Re: octave GUI proof of concept

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: octave GUI proof of concept
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:02:14 +0100

Sebastien Loisel wrote:

Hi Ole,

On 2/13/06, *Ole Jacob Hagen* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Hi, Sebastien.

    Very interesting work you have done here. The level your Octave
    GUI have
    reached could be compared to Matlab 5.1, which didn't have any code
    completion.

How can code completion be included into the command window?

Do you mean that thing where, if you hit "cursor up", it tries to find a previous line that starts like the line you just started typing? That's 5 minutes. Do you mean that in the editor, if you start typing, it tries to give you a hint and pops up a selection box on top of the edit window with possible completions and so on? That might take a little longer (I estimate an afternoon, but if you hit a wall then it could take very long!)

If I've understood correctly you are linking to liboctave.so directly. If that is the case look at the help.cc(make_name_list) function that creates the list of name completions.

    But it didn't cleaned up correctly.....

I blame qmake. All on its own, qmake leaves the final executable in the directory even if you type "make clean". That's certainly not my fault. Additionally, for reasons I do not yet understand (is it a qmake bug? a mkoctfile bug? or did I just not write the mygui.pro <http://mygui.pro> file correctly?) each .oct file also has a .o counterpart which doesn't get cleaned up.

    Maybe we should join forces, or check the possibilities to join forces
    and merge code and ideas?

Sure thing!

Sébastien Loisel

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary