Re: Octave GUI MinGW first light & need help.

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: Octave GUI MinGW first light & need help.
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:41:16 +0100

David,

Ok, I could track this down but it's probably easier for you. My tarball is here: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~mtakan1/octave-gui-beta.tar.gz (about 300KB.)

Basically, it goes into octave_main() and returns 1. What I need to know is why? Can you tell me what the failure is?

Things you should know:

1) This is a Windows app. So it doesn't have an stdout and stderr. Apologies for the added debugging difficulties.

2) Therefore, I stick the return value of octave_main() and the argc, argv into some global variables. When the gui comes up, I print those global variables in the output tab. So you can see exactly what the parameters to octave_main() are and that it returns 1.

3) Trolltech decided, in its infinite wisdom, that they weren't going to play game with msys. Therefore, it is not possible to do make if msys is in the path. Therefore, when you want to *build*, you have to open a clean cmd.exe and add *only* c:\octave\MinGW\bin to its path, nothing else. Then you type make. This is summarized in compileenv.bat.

Warning: Don't try to use qmake. It'll fubar everything.

4) On the other hand, when you run octave-gui.exe presumably you'll need the environment to be set up as with octave.exe. So I made an octave-gui.bat by copying your octave.bat and changing the executable. Since it will munge your environment, I usually start it from the windows explorer (file manager), not from the prompt.

Let me know,

Sébastien Loisel