Re: Minimal requirements from a handle graphics package

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Minimal requirements from a handle graphics package
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:06:13 -0500

Bill Denney wrote:
Shai Ayal wrote:
lets go for the version w/o the "group" objects.
I would very much prefer to have the group objects (R14). I personally think that matlab's group objects are somewhat broken (I can't assign a color to the group and have it propagate down to all sub-objects for example), but I think that it is one of the best and most powerful features of the new implementation. It also allows for very good things such as having a single handle for errorbar plots; in R13 and before, two line handles were generated: one for the regular line and one for the error bars, but in R14, there is just one handle, but you can still get the granular control if you want by going to the children of the error bar group.

Groups are the most helpful aspect of the handle graphics to me, and for my purposes (most of my plots get turned into svg before going to eps for final printout), groups make later editing significantly easier (I can group together sets of lines and then modify them together in inkscape.
Something just occurred to me: I would guess that groups would be mostly manageable outside of the handle visualization. The only place where I would envision a problem would be in the selection of objects in the visualizer (i.e. it would be logical to me that if the user selects an object in the visualizer the entire group associated with that object should be selected). Off the top of my head other than that case, groups could be just made to exist within the structure of the handle.

I'm sure that I'm missing something (and please explain to me what I'm missing), but again, I really would like groups to exist.

Bill