Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:16:40 -0500

On 19-Feb-2006, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| Adding up octave, octave-forge and their main dependencies, it looks
| like about 20 MB. However, the indirect dependencies that are already
| installed on many linux systems can add a lot more (texinfo requires
| tetex, which is 20 MB by itself).

Running Octave only requires makeinfo, not all of the texinfo
package.  It is unfortunate that the typical packages (Debian and
Cygwin at least) don't split the texinfo package into two pieces so
that one could get makeinfo without having to also get tetex, which is
quite large.  Perhaps we should file wishlist bug reports requesting
this change?