Distributional bug? config.h should not be installed

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Distributional bug? config.h should not be installed
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:26:07 -0500

On 18-Feb-2006, Sebastien Loisel wrote:

| address@hidden octave-gui]$ locate octave |grep config
| /usr/include/octave-2.1.57/octave/config.h
|
| I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to install config.h. The reason is that
| all autoconfiscated packages have a config.h, and they all define the same
| symbols but with different values, so there's a high chance of symbol
| clashes. Right now I'm unable to use my own config.h without the compiler
| complaining.

Yes, fixing this has been on my list for a long time.  I don't see it
as urgent however, because you can use

  #include <octave/config.h>

in Octave code, and only add -I/usr/include/octave-VERSION to the
compiler flags.  Doesn't that allow you to avoid most conflicts?  Or
is the problem that you hit errors (or at least many warnings) due to
redefining preprocessor symbols if you include Octave's config.h and
your own?