Re: Patches to vte accepted

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Patches to vte accepted
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:04:13 -0600

Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) [E] wrote:
> Looks nice.  Just to be clear on terminology, this is an IDE
> (integrated development environment), yes?  That is, a UI (user
> interface) for Octave itself.  There are seperate projects for GUIs
> that apps can use, and of course these elements probably need to
> communicate with each other.
>
> Within your IDE, is it possible for an octave function to create and
> manage a window full of widgets?
>
> John Swensen wrote:
>> I got the patches suggested by jwe (and others previously) fixed up and
>> accepted by the libvte maintainers.  They are included in version
>> 0.13. I have made slow, but steady progress on my UI and it should be
>> ready
>> for a release soon.  You can see a new screenshot at
>>
>> http://swenmac.homeip.net:8080/oui.png
>>
>> I am hoping to have a release done soon.  I am going back to school this
>> fall and will be quiting work on June 2, so I should have much more time
>> to work on it between when I quit work and start school.
>>
>> John Swensen

You are right, it is just and IDE for octave.  I know a lot of people
prefer emacs or some other editor, but I think something like this helps
in the transition from Matlab to Octave.  It does *not* support handle
graphics.  I know there has been a lot of discussion lately about that,
but I am not sure how far along it is coming.  I had started a doc/view
implementation of handle graphics in C++ as a OCT file, but it seemed
the consensus of the rest of the mailing list group that they would
rather have it implemented in M files, so more people can work on it, so
I haven't done much with it since then.

I had thought about starting a fundable.org fund to pay some CS or
engineering student for this summer to work on handle graphics.  That
way everyone could pitch in $1 to $100 dollars and get a working
solution from someone spending 40+ hours a week on it.  Would anyone be
willing to mentor/guide a student (and give suggestions of students) if
I got this set up?

John Swensen