Re: Explanation of Octave operator overloading

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Explanation of Octave operator overloading
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 14:13:20 +0200

Paul Thomas wrote:
David,

Note that I intend to delete this code in octave-forge now that the code to treat positive definite matrices is in octave itself, so rescuing it and using it as an example in da coda or del segna is probably a good idea. In fact if you are really motivated, rescuing both da coda and del segna, and this code and writing a chapter on oct-files for the octave 3.0 manual might be even better :-)

Whilst I have gone silent on the maintainers list, I am still reading some of the postings. I thought that the reaction to del segna was so underwhelming that I was put off from any further work on it. More importantly, there was an opinion that the API should be improved in such a way as to make oct-files an irrelevance. This was sufficiently persuasive as to stop me in my tracks! If there is any call for it, I am prepared to help prepare a manual entry, in any way that I can.

I don't think oct-files will ever be an irrelevancy, as there will always be certain codes that must be done in oct-files either for speed or because they link to external libraries. Also where will people who are whiling to improve the internals of octave come from if they don't start with oct-files. Doesn't mean that the API won't change in the future to be more consistent or "better". In any case the API in 3.0 is suppose to be stable enough to share oct-files between versions of the 3.0 series, therefore even if its not a perfect API it still needs documentation :-).

With Da Coda, Del Segna and the type example from octave-forge there is largely enough to start a good manual section on oct-files. What is perhaps missing is an example of wrapping an external library for use in octave. You might also steal the oct-file sub-section of the sparse section of the manual, as it makes more sense for this to be with a section on oct-files rather than a section on sparse matrices.

Finally what is really missing is an idea of the structure of the manual for 3.0. Will in be a collection of the help sections as present, or will it be additional information to the help pages, with the help pages presented as a function reference? What will be the consistent way to cut up the documentation etc. In any case, getting the information into texinfo in one form or another and massaging it to be consist later will probably be the only way to attack this.

Note that probably the largest task the remains before 3.0 is released is improving the manual, and so I imagine John will be looking for help with other sections of the manual as well.

Regards
David

PS. Did you ever run "make check" under OS X on a 2.9.5 release, as I remember about a year ago you reported a seg-fault that was never specifically addressed in the sparse matrix code?