Re: path handling

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: path handling
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:56:34 +0200

tor, 11 05 2006 kl. 11:40 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:
> If we have a package manager, how should it add directories to the
> path so that the package will be useful immediately and so that the
> package will be found the next time Octave starts?  Where and how
> should that information be stored?
If the package manager let's you add packages to the path, i.e.
  pkg load package_name
the user can then simply add the needed packages to the .octaverc file.
We could have a short-hand command that adds all packages to the path,
i.e.
  pkg load all.

This means packages don't get loaded automagicly, but isn't that okay?
In R, you have to load you packages manually in a similar way.

> Hmm.  This is a bit of a mess.
Is it? I'm probably misunderstanding things, as I don't really see the mess.

Soren