Re: More octave-forge functions!!!

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: More octave-forge functions!!!
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:37:27 -0400

On 29-May-2006, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| I really like the way the R people are doing things. They essentially
| supply a base system, that only gives the most basic functionality. In
| fact if you only install the base system, you won't be able to much
| work. What the R people do next, is to have a rather large amount of
| packages that depends on external libraries. To help new users the R
| people have created a meta-package that depends on the recommended
| packages.
|
| Would this be an option for Octave?

Yes, we could do something similar.  But would it help?  I think a
setup like that works well if there are many independent packages
maintained independently.  Do we have that situation?  Do we have a
lot of people who are willing and able to maintain all these separate
packages, or would it just be more work to split things up and manage
them as separate packages?  If not, then it seems simplest to just
keep most "core" functions together in the same package instead of
having a set of "core packages" that are all required to do real
work.  From the point of view of the user, I don't see that it really
matters, since most people will be installing all the core (or
recommended) packages anyway.