Re: Improving the Octave website look

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Re: Improving the Octave website look
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:36:40 -0700

On 6/28/06, Rafael Laboissiere <address@hidden> wrote:
* Keith Goodman <address@hidden> [2006-06-28 08:14]:

> On 6/28/06, Rafael Laboissiere <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >I already the issues below privately with JWE and he told me to post my
> >comments here.  The www.octave.org web site does not look nice here with
> >either Mozilla or Firefox (I have set here the minimum font size to 10pt):
> >
> >    http://people.debian.org/~rafael/www-octave-org-original.png
>
> I don't get that behavior with Mozilla or Firefox...

It only happens with a precise combination of font sizes and window
width.  Try to play with these parameters and you will see the problem.
I have Mozilla 1.7.12 and Firefox 1.0.6.

It is considered bad web designing practice to depend on a precise window
geometry or on precise font sizes at the client size.  The patch that I
proposed only partially fixes the problem.  For instance, the page looks
width with a narrow browser window.

Now I can do it too.

BTW, what do you think of the floating navigation table? It's novel at
first. But later it becomes distracting when I scroll down a page.