Re: Block comments

From: William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno
Subject: Re: Block comments
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:38:31 +0800

Note: I thought I sent this yesterday, but it appears in my "Drafts"
section, so I'm sending it again. Sorry if it comes out twice.

On 6/21/06, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

I think whitespace is allowed, but nothing else.

Here is a rough patch (relative to the current CVS) that attempts to
implement block comments that you could start with.  I'm not sure how
this will interact with functions like those that try to extract the
help text or skip the copyright notice.  It might be nice to convert
the current method of handling comments in lex.l to use a method
similar to the one used in the patch below for block comments.  But
again, I don't know what changes will need to be made to accomodate
the functions that look for help text and copyright notices.

I have no more time to work on this right now, but perhaps someone
else can work through the details and submit a more complete patch and
ChangeLog entry (I think the changes below work, but I did not do much
testing).

jwe

Hi John, sorry for not replying earlier.

I've looked at your patch, and replaced my diffs with yours. I've also
added a pattern to match the end of a block comment when we are not in
the BLOCK_COMMENT_START state, and emit a warning if it is
encountered. Also, I don't think #{ and #} should be counted as block
comment markers, so I've made the test stricter to just %{ and %}. The
diffs are attached (without a ChangeLog entry, since I don't know
whether my changes are good or not), please take a look.

--
William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno