Re: PKG wishlist

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: PKG wishlist
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:29:24 -0400

On 31-Aug-2006, David Bateman wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > Is it necessary to have bundles?  Couldn't that be handled by
| > package dependencies instead?
| >
| > jwe
| >

| The goal of bundles is just to simplify the life of the rpm/deb
| packager.

So that they would just release one large package instead of many
smaller ones?

It think this is what we want to avoid.  Instead of installing all of
Octave Forge, I should have the option of installing just the peices I
want/need.

If we have separate packages only, then people who still want a
comprehensive could get it with a meta package of dependencies only.
But if we encourage the packagers to bundle everything together, then
it seems it will be more difficult to install the separate packages
independently.

I guess I would eventually like to be able to do something like this

  apt-get install octave
  apt-get install octave-pkg-audio
  apt-get install octave-pkg-image
  apt-get install octave-pkg-optimization

etc. and not also get everything that used to be in Octave Forge.

I'm no expert with rpm/deb packages, but it seems to me that in order
to help them build independent packages, we need to be able to easily
extract things like dependency information from the Octave packages.
Then it seems that it would be possible to automatically generate an
rpm or deb package from the corresponding Octave package.  Isn't this
what Debian does now with R packages?