How to Speed Up Octave?

From: Bill Denney
Subject: How to Speed Up Octave?
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:45:24 -0400

OK, so this topic is discussed fairly often, but I want to see what can be done to make the topic go away:

How can we speed up Octave? I know that for loops are slow. Why is this (I know about the JIT compiler that matlab has-- I'm asking about where the speed issues are), and where I can look at code to possibly make them faster? The reason I'm bringing this up is that I have some un-vectorizable code that takes many minutes in octave and <5 seconds in matlab. From code reading so far, I think that I'm interested in the pt-*.cc files, especially pt-loop.cc and the tree_walker class.

Am I looking in the right places (should I be looking at the octave_value class or somewhere else)? Is there a point in looking (i.e. is it fixable)?

Bill