Re: front-end of libcurl

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: front-end of libcurl
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:02:19 -0400

John W. Eaton wrote:

> Yes, I think it would be useful to have this functionality.  Probably
> it would be best to have an interface taht is compatible with the
> urlread and urlwrite functions from Matlab.  Also, for inclusion with
> Octave it would help for the code to match the style of the rest of
> Octave.

I didn't know about urlread and urlwrite in matlab. The download function is
already quite similar
to urlwrite. I will make the interfaces compatible and try to match the coding
style of octave.

> Also, Matlab has a collection of ftp functions.  Does libcurl provide
> the functionality needed to implement those features?  The ftp
> functions available in Matlab are
>
>  ascii   binary  cd      close   delete  dir
>  ftp     mget    mkdir   mput    rename  rmdir
>
> jwe

libcurl allows to send "raw" ftp commands but it is not generic nor a complete
FTP library
(according to http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2003-01/0061.html). Therefore I'm
not sure if libcurl is
the best way to implement matlab's ftp functions.

Alex