Re: MSVC/Win32: building the documentation

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: MSVC/Win32: building the documentation
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:36:39 +0100

John W. Eaton a écrit :
| 1) the current gperf version provided by cygwin is 2.7.x. This version | produces an invalid | header (the result type of octave_kw_hash::in_word_set is empty). Is it | possible to use this | version, or do I really need an more recent version (which is | unfortunately not available
| by default)

See the bug reported today about this.  I think it would be best to
just install a newer version of gperf, or, since the generated file is
not system dependent, you can copy the generated file from another
system.

I installed another version of gperf (from the gnuwin32 project) and everything worked fine. I just had hoped that building octave could work out of the box with a standard cygwin installation. Using MSYS requires the user the install a bunch of additional tools.
The effort is highly reduced with the installation procedure of cygwin.

|     - texi2dvi gives an error I can't decode:
| | This is e-TeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
|  file:line:error style messages enabled.
|  %&-line parsing enabled.
| ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/etex.fmt was written by pdfetex
| (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
| /usr/bin/texi2dvi: texinfo.tex appears to be broken, quitting.
| | If I manually set TEX=tex before calling texi2dvi, it works fine. | Do you have any
|       idea about what's going on?

Is e-TeXk from a Cygwin package?  Is your Cygwin installation up to
date?  I think this is either an installation problem on your system,
or a bug in the packaging.  If a little googling doesn't turn up a
solution, then ask for help on the Cygwin list.

This is regular tex installation from this weekend. I'll see if I can find anything on the web. Note that this problem also occurs in doc/refcard, but in the opposite direction: I have to use pdfetex instead of pdftex... Anyway, a MSYS+MiKTeX solution works as well,
so using cygwin shell is not high priority.

Michael.