Re: Clarification about the octave-gpcl licensing conditions

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Clarification about the octave-gpcl licensing conditions
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:29:53 -0600

On 10 November 2006 at 23:27, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
| > On Debian these headers are in /usr/share/R/include; others may have them in
| > /usr/(local)?/lib/R/include/.  Eg R.h has a clean LGPL header dated "2000,
| > 2001".
|
| I am still a little bit perplex that it is so simple to circumvent the GPL.

Well, as was pointed out, this may or may not pass scrutiny.

| about such things?  Dirk suggested to contact Douglas Bates.  Should I do it?

No, I suggested for John to take things off-list and off-email and to talk
with Doug, whom he (and I) know personally.  So please don't.

(Re-)licensing is is a tricky question. I like the GPL as it is so much of a
standard. Yes I also have symapthy for Rafael's point of view with respect to
the two interesting libraries he mentioned. But John also raises important
points about desirability and feasibility of changing Octave's
license. All very tricky indeed.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison