Howto make EEGLab compatible...

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Howto make EEGLab compatible...
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 02:11:22 -0500

On 28-Nov-2006, Andreas Romeyke wrote:

| There exists a free Matlab-Toolbox to process EEG-data called EEGLab
| (http://sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/downloadtoolbox.html). Our team at the
| Max-Planck-Institute is developing a testsuite
| (https://svnserv.cbs.mpg.de/eeglab) to improve code quality and to
| make it possible to run EEGLab under Octave, too.

OK, since EEGLAB is apparently free software[*], it would be good to have
it working with Octave.

| As you will see in report-file
| https://svnserv.cbs.mpg.de/eeglab/attachment/wiki/ReportExample/index.html.gz
| the EEGLab-testsuite could also be a good candidate to check where are
| the main differences between Octave and Matlab.

OK, you are certainly encouraged to run that and report problems you
find.  Submitting fixes is even better.

| The main problems are related to graphical user interfaces and the
| rotten syntax checking by Matlab.

What do you mean by "rotten syntax checking by Matlab"?

| We are highly interested in
| dispensing EEGLab from Matlab and porting it to Octave.

OK.

| But in reality
| it is only possible to support primary Matlab and secondary Octave and
| therefore we need more or less compatibility between them.

Why is that?

| To avoid unnecessary work we are very interested in your comments and
| thoughts about this  work and your  roadmap to Octave, especially in
| supporting GUI-funtionality.

So are you saying "write a Matlab-compatible GUI for us and we will be
happy"?

jwe

[*] There seems to be some confusion about the GPL and commercial
    (vs. proprietary) here: http://sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/contrib.html.
    Please consider correcting this misstatement:

      1 - EEGLAB is distributed under the GPL GNU license, which
          states that the software cannot be modified for commercial
          purposes. Any contributed functions we add to EEGLAB will be
          made available for free non-commercial use under this
          license.

     The GPL prohibits proprietary derivatives.  It does not prohibit
     commercial uses.