MSVC runtime library license problem

From: michael . goffioul
Subject: MSVC runtime library license problem
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:31:08 +0100

Hi,

It just came to my attention that I can't provide MSVC runtime libraries with
pre-built octave, because of the GPL license limitations. Indeed, the license
used for those libs isn't compatible with GPL and they cannot be considered
part of the OS anymore (MSVCRT.DLL was, but MSVCR80.DLL is not),
so I can't distribute them along with octave.

As far as I understand, I can still distribute pre-built octave, but without the
runtime libs (the user has to get and install them himself); at least this is what
I read in a README from another GPL package (libiconv).

This means that
1) I'll strip any runtime libs from future package (MSVCR80.DLL, needed by
octave et al., as well as MSVCR71.DLL, needed by Console2).
2) the current available package should be removed from the website (David,
can you remove it?)

If  appears that I can't distribute pre-built package, even without the runtime
libs (I hope it's not the case), then I'm afraid I'll have to give up the whole thing.

Bye,
Michael.