Re: MSVC runtime library license problem

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: MSVC runtime library license problem
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:23:47 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
> > So the problem is on the GPL side as msvcr70.dll is closed source and so
> > can't be linked with a GPL program.. If that is a valid argument then
> > any compiler that has a support library that is closed source can not be
> > used to distribute GPL software. Does Intel's icc for example link
> > against a support library? Does that prevent distribution? This is a
> > major headache, and I'd hate to see the MSVC build thrown out, though I
> > suppose we might go back to a mingw build if we have to...
>
> I had more the impression that the problem is not that you can't link
> against MSVC support libs, but that you can't distribute the support libs
> along with a binary package. However, the readme for the gettext package
> allows distribution of a binary package without the support libs (although
> this is just a readme, I don't know it it's a valid statement).
>
> Michael.

But what is the use of being able to link against a library if you have
no right to distribute it... If you purchase a compiler (I know with
express you don't), then you should have the right right to distribute
your code with all of the support libraries.. This is why it seems to me
that a commercial license of MSVC must allow distribution of these
support libraries or no application could ever be built and distributed
with the MSVC compiler. Seriously, I'd be willing to donate to a
purchase if that was the only blocking point...

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only