Re: Autoloading of toolboxes?

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: Autoloading of toolboxes?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:44:50 +0100

David Bateman wrote:
One major difference between toolboxes installed with pkg and similar
toolboxes under matlab is the need to explicitly load the toolboxes with
the "pkg load <package>" or "pkg load all" commands. In matlab an
installed toolboxes is always available if a license is available. This
might confuse some users, and so I wonder whether we should include the line

## PKG_ADD: pkg("load","all");

in pkg.m... Thoughts?

D.

I haven't had a good look at o-f since the switch to the new package system, since I'm tied to 2.1.x for the moment, so my apologies in advance if what I say is silly. Packages may not really have a single maintainer, and it may be doubtful which package to put a given function into. So it may not be clear to everyone just which package supplies which functions, and people might miss finding useful stuff if they have to know the package/function mapping. Also, suppose someone is using a distro that supplies a bunch of packages by default whenever Octave is installed. What's the advantage of not automatically loading whatever is available?

M.