Re: tmp gets full when plotting many images

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: tmp gets full when plotting many images
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:13:24 -0500 (EST)

   The other alternative might be a new mode for gnuplot that deletes files
after
   they are read, no longer needed, and closed.  I'll ask the gnuplot list if
this
   is generally a good feature.

To gnuplot, the Octave-generated temporary files are indistinguishable
from regular gnuplot user's data files. An option to delete data files
doesn't make sense for gnuplot in general. I'd argue that octave
should delete what it created.

As John said, people who have this problem should do an explicit
purge_tmp_files. If we needed to automate it further, we should look
for changes to communicate between gnuplot and octave about plot
obsolescence. For instance, would it work to keep a record of file
names, and delete files which were used in a previous plot upon
creating a subsequent one? How would it work in a multiplot situation?