Re: graphics future

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: graphics future
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 02:48:11 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:

Also, I simply don't have the cycles to be the maintainer of the
graphics code.  I took my best shot at the property database code for
2.9.10.  If people think that is a reasonable design and someone would
like to maintain and extend it, then OK.  If not, then let's agree on
something else that is maintainable, extensible, and (perhaps most
importantly) compatible.

I thought it was fairly good. The hardest part seems to have been __go_plot_axes__ and that looks fairly straightforward. Speed seems an issue, but I too wonder if something happened between 2.9.5 and 2.9.6... Isn't this sort of near what has been proposed for quite a while, i.e., some routine that can be swapped in and out based upon the type of plotting platform that is desired? I could add little bits to the gnuplot version of __go_plot_axes__ when needed, but I can't be a full time developer.

There could be a main __go_plot_axes__ which may be internal, then several custom ones that could be swapped in using a link or whatnot. They could be part of octave-forge if not CVS.

It has to work on all platforms? Amenable to primitive manipulation of elements on its plot? Output in a variety of formats including PNG/JPG/EPS/PS/combined PS-LaTeX? GUI objects? That's a lot of work no matter what route one goes; probably full-time for two or three people for a year maybe. Graphics is fun in some ways, but not the livelihood of most list listeners.

Also, at this point, I think gnuplot as a graphics rendering backend
is a dead end.  I just don't think that gnuplot works well as a
low-level plotter, and it is a lot of work to translate the property
data into gnuplot commands and make it all (sort of) work out in a
compatible way.  In addition, I don't see much hope for being able to
insert programmable GUI objects in a gnuplot graphics window and have
the kind of two-way communication with Octave that is necessary to
handle graphics and GUI features.

Gnuplot can return mouse coordinates upon clicking, but that is about it.

Dan