Re: distributing Octave in August

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: distributing Octave in August
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:17:38 -0400

On 17-Jun-2007, address@hidden wrote:

| On 16:51 Sat 16 Jun     , address@hidden wrote:

| > > |

| > > It seems to me there must be some other solution since all this seems
| > > to be doing is setting the prompt to something that will be recognized
| > > by Emacs as a prompt.  And that is already supposed to be true (the
| > > default is "octave:NN> " and I think octave-inf.el sends commands to
| > > Octave to set it to "octave> ".  If that's not working, will someone
| > > please try to debug why it is failing?
| The above poster has provided the solution as follows, off list:
|

| >Hello!
| >
| >I did a little experiment (I am working on a Mac, where run-octave
| >works out-of-the-box).
| >
| >First, I add the following line to my .octaverc:
| >
| >PS1("\\s.exe:\\#> ");
| >
| >Now I have the same inital prompt as you have on Windows. When I try
| >to do M-x run-octave emacs freezes just like it does for you. Then I
| >go into octave-inf.el and change inferior-octave-prompt to read (just
| >added "\\|.exe" in the right place):
| >
| >(defcustom inferior-octave-prompt

I fixed this in the version of octave-inf.el that is distributed with
Octave.  Would someone please report this to the Emacs maintainers and
get the fix included in the version that is distribute with Emacs?

Also, it would be helpful if someone would like to work to ensure that
the versions of the Octave modes that are distributed with Emacs and
Octave are not diverging.  If they are essentially the same, then
maybe it is time to stop distributing the files with Octave, since
Emacs includes the Octave modes?

Thanks,