Re: Other Octave-forge functions to port to the core

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Other Octave-forge functions to port to the core
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:54:20 +0200

Quentin Spencer wrote:
> David Bateman wrote:
>> * Is the term code in waitbar portable? Should it be rewritten to use
>> the GUI when written rather than like it currently is?
>>

> As the original author of waitbar, I should speak up here. I really
> don't know how portable it is--I didn't really know what I was doing
> when I wrote it. The only purpose of the term stuff is to get the
> terminal dimensions if they are available. If they aren't there's a
> less pretty looking default mode. I'm sure this could be done using
> ncurses, which is used by core octave already, right? I'm not sure
> which GUI you're referring to--gnuplot, or one of the new and not
> officially supported GUIs? I'm not really sure how you would do this
> with gnuplot. There are advantages and disadvantages of making a
> GUI-based waitbar like Matlab's. Using the GUI makes it possible to
> have multiple simultaneous waitbars, but it is also slower, and it
> requires extra code to close all of the waitbars when you're done with
> them, or the screen becomes littered with them. I like the text
> version myself, but making a GUI version could be useful.

The jhandles package I believe has what would be needed to make a gui
version in an m-file. We could register a call-back that caused the
drawnow function to remove the waitbar from the screen. So as soon as
the control returned to the prompt the waitbar would disappear.

However, we'd still need another version for the Octave core. I suppose
we can assume ncurses is available and use it, and if it isn't disable
waitbar. Want to write a version?

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only