Re: figure window size with handle graphics

From: Peter Gustafson
Subject: Re: figure window size with handle graphics
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:49:23 -0400

Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Peter Gustafson wrote:
>> Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>>> Is there a way to set the figure window size with the new handle
>>> graphics paradigm?  It used to be as simple as
>>>
>>>  > __gnuplot_set__ size 0.5
>>>
>>> but now those commands seem to be completely ignored if octave
>>> plotting commands are used.  I really find setting the window size
>>> to be helpful in producing publication quality plots.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jonathan
>>>
>> Jonathan,
>>
>> I don't believe there is, as I looked into this a bit ago and didn't
>> find anything.
>> I've considered modifying some of the code to create size as an axes or
>> figure property (and having it passed through to gnuplot).
>> Alternatively, one could create and pass a size argument to the print
>> function.  I've implemented this latter option locally for epslatex
>> only, and am happy with the result.  I'm willing to share the patch,
>> however I haven't posted it because I think the actual implementation
>> should be discussed on the devel list.  I'm sure there are many things I
>> haven't considered yet.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Pete
>>

> Pete
>
> I hope you don't mind me cc'ing back to the list.  I am also cc'ing
> the maintainer's list in a hope to generate some discussion.
>
> I noticed that I can use the -F:SIZE option with the print command to
> help with the relative font to figure size.  However, it would still
> be nice to specify the figure size itself since some publishers can be
> picky about this.
>
> Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,

I think at this point our conversation belongs exclusively on the
maintainers list, not help, since it is really about feature
development. :)  I suggest this be the last cc to octave-help, they can
find the rest on maintainers if they are interested.

The -PPrinter is what I patterned my modification after.  In my local
print.m file, I include a size option which would be specified as
-SSize, for example, as "-S5x3" which would correspond to gnuplot's
"size 5,3" for epslatex terminal.  I believe this is an absolute size...
meaning it would correspond to 5 by 3 inches.

I only applied it for epslatex but I think it could be easily modified
for any of gnuplot's terminal options.  I did not find a similar matlab
command for compatibility sake, though I only looked for a minute or two.

Are there better ways to do this?  Is there anything I didn't consider.
I works fine for me with both epslatex and epslatexstandalone.

Pete