Re: hosting mingw binaries for octave

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: hosting mingw binaries for octave
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:49:44 +0200

> > Good point.
> > How can I get access to the octave-forge project?
> >
> Asking here is a good start.. We need your sourceforge username though
> as I don't believe you are registered as an octave-forge developer..

Here you go: SF username is lindnerb

> You'd also need to be marked as a release technician in octave-forge to
> be able to upload files. However, we'd need to think about how to
> reorganize the release page to handle up to three different and
> concurrent Windows releases (MSVC, cygwin and MinGW)...

Anytime. I just took a look at the download page on sf and recognized
that I am a bit lagging behind in being up-to-date. Wow, there are
quite a number of releases available. I definitely need to catch up...
Now I see the argument of having the binaries all togther at one site.

We should probably think of reorganizing, true.
At first I was a bit confused because the mac binaries are clearly
distinguishable, but it is not clear whether a windows binary is
native or cygwin. If we add a mingw-binary also, there should be some
distinction visible. Then an octave binary is packaged as
"Octave Forge Windows". shouldn't it be more like "octave windows"
and the forge packages under "octave forge Windows".
But I'm slicing hair probably.

> >>  Check
> >>

> http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge/admin/Windows/msvc/
> >>

> This is where clear build scripts come in, and perhaps why using the
> existing MSVC build script might be a good idea as there would then be
> one almost identical build process for the two binaries..

I had a look at Michaels files in the forge cvs.
I took a bit a different approach in bundling the
download/applypatch/configure/make/install process for the
dependencies and octave itself.
We can discuss on how to merge into one uniform build-enviroment for
msvc and mingw. But I would put this one grade less priority than
the binaries itself.

benjamin