Re: patch to configure.in & aclocal.m4 for graphics libraries

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: patch to configure.in & aclocal.m4 for graphics libraries
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:28:36 +0200

Shai Ayal skrev:
It is my opinion that octave core should not be dependant on java --
in my experience it is very bloated and causes you to spend your
valuable CPU/Memory resources on things not directly related to the
tasks you want to achieve in octave.
I must say I disagree with you here. Yes, Java can be a memory-hog, but I don't agree that it matters much. At least when I plot stuff, it is usually not _during_ some heavy simulation, but afterwards. So, memory isn't all that important. What really matters is the developers during the implementation, and Java development can be quite a bit faster than C development. The thing that impresses me mostly about JHandles is how fast it has been developed (so, it's really Michael that impresses me...). So, if Java is what is needed to actually get something implemented, then I'd say, Java is fine.

Søren