Re: Updated patch for multiple users of readline event hook

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Updated patch for multiple users of readline event hook
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:09:26 -0400

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 17-Sep-2007, John Swensen wrote:

| Because the oct-rl-edit.c and oct-rl-hist.c were being compiled as C | file, rather than C++ files, I have attached 2 patches. One is for | existing files and the other contains the new C++ versions of those two | files.

Those files are intended to be in C, so there should be no need to
convert them to C++.  They exist to provide C++ callable wrappers for
the C functions in libreadline.  Maybe this is not necessary now, but
it used to be needed because of the way some declarations were
writtten for readline (primarily function pointers, I think).

jwe

I had originally submitted a patch that left these files as C files. However, in that version I implemented the callback list as a simple C array with a 256 element array of function pointers. Shai Ayal was the only one who gave feedback on the original patch and suggested I use std::vector/C++, rather than a fixed-size array.

Either one works for me.  Which would you prefer?

John Swensen

P.S. I don't think there are issues with needing that to compile as C. I merely had to change the Makefile.in and comment out a little of the header concerning "#ifdef __cplusplus"