Re: Profiler and GUI in Octave?

From: Andreas Romeyke
Subject: Re: Profiler and GUI in Octave?
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:58:55 +0200

Dear all,

Am Sat, 06 Oct 2007 02:51:39 +0200
schrieb Svante Signell <address@hidden>:

> My question is more how difficult it is to implement such a thing.
> Regarding a GUI this a secondary issue as least for us, computation
> speed is more important. We are offering our help here, not requiring
> immediate support for something not yet implemented! Is it feasible at
> all? We can offer our help by trying our application in the Octave
> environment as well as Matlab and compare performance.

Because Octave's builtin functions you are able to compile octave with
GCC profiling option ("-pg") and using gprof to postprocess. This would
give you a hint in which part of functions CPU power is gone.

With this kind of information it could be possible to rewrite such a
function in a more general way.

Additionally you could time your functions by using tic/toc and write
results in an external file.

Bye Andreas

--
Software Developer / Dipl. Inform. (FH)
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences