problems configuring with pcre-4.5 installed

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: problems configuring with pcre-4.5 installed
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:10:17 -0500

On  7-Nov-2007, address@hidden wrote:

| [And it's not obvious how to gently add -I/usr/include/pcre to the
| builds.]

Like most other compiler-related things, you can use CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS,
CXXFLAGS, FFLAGS, LDFLAGS, when running configure:

  ./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/pcre ...

However, Octave's configure script accomodates subdirectories like
this for other header file dependencies, so maybe we should do the
same for pcre.