Re: problems configuring with pcre-4.5 installed

From: Jskud
Subject: Re: problems configuring with pcre-4.5 installed
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 20:30:25 -0800

Thanks for the reply and suggestion, John.

But looking into it, I think there are two problems with that approach.

(1) Supplying the values with configure OVERRIDES whatever would be
    computed -- so supplying CFLAGS causes the normally occuring "-O2
    -g" to be left out.  And if I use make CFLAGS=-O2 (as I do to avoid
    -g, which makes things too big for my machine), then I'll lose that
    override (OK, so I could supply the override in three places).

(2) One must supply both CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS on configure, otherwise
    configure fails to find the header files.

Also,

(3) With regard to gently adding -I/usr/include/pcre to the builds, it
    wasn't obvious what internal variables to set in configure to
    augment the include search path -- the desire was to use pcre-config
    in configure, capture the -I value, and pass that along -- not sure
    how to pass that along -- feels like it should be "EXTRA_INCFLAGS"
    or some such.

Said another way

(4) I didn't see how Octave's configure script accomodates include
    subdirectories.  INCFLAGS looks pretty hardwired in Makeconf.in.

/Jskud