Re: goals for 3.1

From: Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD
Subject: Re: goals for 3.1
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:18:27 -0500

On Nov 13, 2007, at 2:11 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

I'd like to have a fairly small list of key goals for 3.1 so that we
can make another release 6 months or so after 3.0.  Here's my current
list:

<snip>

 * Eliminate __gnuplot_X__ functions from Octave
<snip>

Comments or suggestions?

Is there a tangible benefit to doing this? These commands provide a low-level control that seems to be disappearing with the race to Matlab compatibility. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the existence of this level of control is a plus. Matlab doesn't generate publication- quality graphics. Not easily, and putting in real labels using latex expressions is still significantly lacking. Octave/gnuplot allows this easily enough, through the ability to specify fonts, include equations (in latex), control the size of the graphic very well. Through metapost output, tweaking the parameters is available (not as easy with an eps or PDF output). Will this functionality disappear in the future?

Joe