Re: Screenshot/Examples section before 3.0/at all ?

From: Kai Habel
Subject: Re: Screenshot/Examples section before 3.0/at all ?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:47:33 +0100

><quote author="John W. Eaton">
>On 13-Dec-2007, Kai Habel wrote:
>
>| I think that would be the best solution. Who is going to implement this
>| Makefile?
>
>I can provide some help with that.
>
>| Should the script generate the image file? Which format?
>
>Yes, I think each image should have a corresponding .m file which
>generates the image.  Probably we should use png.  If generating png
>directly from gnuplot doesn't provide all the features we need, then
>I think we can use postscript and convert to png.
>
>You can see the current sources for the web pages here:
>
>  http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/octave/?root=octave
>
>The .in files are the ones we edit.  Any .html file that has a
>corresponding .in file is generated.  We are using m4 and the macros
>defined in macros.m4 to help with consistency on the pages and to
>avoid having to edit too much html goop directly.
>
>jwe

O.k.,

I have edited the macros.m4 file and was succeful generating a section for the
sidebar. I have also an initial file for this new section (graphics.in) . But I
need help with the Makefile and the automatic generation of the content.

I think for each example we could have a script file (e.g. example1.m attached)
with 3 sections.

1. Header - This information should be pulled and used as subsection header at
the html site.

2. A brief description of the example. This information is also pulled an put
on the html site.

3. The actual code.

In the graphics.in file attached I have used __EXAMPLE__TITLE__,
__EXAMPLE__DESCRIPTION__, __EXAMPLE__PNG__ as placeholders for the actual
content.

So, now we need some logic which reads a list of examples (in the Makefile ?)
and generates the textual and graphic content. I have looked at the Makefile of
the manual, which generates also png files.

_But too have this working next week I need help!_

Otherwise it will take some time for me to understand the Makefile-logic.

Kai

P.S. I have attached a patch to the macros.m4 file, an initial graphics.in and
two exmples scripts.