Additional core 2D plotting functions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Additional core 2D plotting functions
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:02:13 -0500

On 17-Dec-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| Here is a patch that adds the feather, compass and rose functions. These
| are matlab core 2D plotting functions. After this patch, the only
| missing 2D core plotting functions are the ez*.m functions. I suppose
| the ez*.m function might be written as well though haven't looked at them.

OK, thanks for these functions (and all the other recent plotting
additions).

| There are many more missing 3D functions that either need lighting
| (surfl, etc), or filled patches (fill3, waterfall), and there are a
| couple that might be written with the existing functionality like
| contourslice. Maybe after 3.0

OK.

| The patch also modifies the polar function, though John you might choose
| to drop this part. My issue with polar is that the matlab version, draws
| a circular patch object, and then adds circular and radial dashed lines
| to it. Although no handle is returned to these you can see they exist with
|
| h = polar(1:10)
| get(gca(),'children')

With your changes I still only see one child.  Is that what you
intended, or did you make some changes to add the circular and radial
lines that were not submitted?

Also, I only see one child with Matlab, and I don't see at all how or
where the polar labels and grid are determined, and "grid off" doesn't
turn it off.

| I'm not sure its a great idea to do this, but we can make the polar
| plots look a bit nicer with the attached patch to polar.m. It also added
| the possibility to allow {x|y}axislocation to be "zero" and the axis is
| printed on the zero axis (if possible), which is not matlab compatible
| but seems like a fairly obvious thing to want to do. Note that as it
| stands {x|y}axislocation are not radio values and can take on any value
| the user wants. This should probably be fixed.

Yes, there are still many properties that are unchecked.  I expect
most of that to be fixed for 3.1.  My goal for 3.0 was to get enough
properties implemented so that working Matlab code could work in
Octave.  For me, any errors we might be able to detect in property
values is just a bonus.  For 3.1, we will want better checking, and
the internal types of properties should be as specific as possible,
not just "octave_value".

| 2007-12-15  David Bateman  <address@hidden>
|
|       * plot/rose.m, plot/feather.m, plot/compass.m: New functions
|       * plot/Makefiles (SOURCES): Add them to the sources
|       * plot/polar.m: Set the x and y limits to the maximum polar
|       radius. Set the axes to be square.
|       * plot/__go_draw_axes__.m: Allow {x|y}axislocation to be "zero"
|       and print axis at zero if this is used.

I applied the patch and checked it in.

Thanks,