Re: 3.0 when?

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: 3.0 when?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:12:56 +0900 (JST)

Hello Michael and jwe.

Michael> Why not also package octave-forge in the mingw binaries?

jwe> I think it would be best if the standalone Windows distributions were
jwe> essentially the same except for the choice of compiler.  Would it be
jwe> difficult to make that happen?

I do not want my mingw binaries to be official release.
Perhaps Benjamin will provide the official release at octave-forge.
Yesterday I saw Benjamin's svn repository.  It seems that he is now extesively
preparing the next
release.

The concept of my mingw binaries are to distribute the latest Windows native
binary
as early as possible because of the building process octave itself on mingw is
now quite easy.
What I have to do is to execute ./configure, make and make install-strip
if the external libraries are prepared.

However, for the forge packages, I have not fully test them.
I have only tried the odepkg package and it was successful.
>From users standpoint, I think that edit command is convinient.
So it is useful for users to be able to use edit command whether
the forge packages are installed or not.
This is because I agreed with Benjamin's proposal.

PS
I have just tried to build the miscellaneous package after your mails.
pkg install -local miscellaneous-1.0.4.tar.gz
 :
 :
make: *** [waitbar.oct] Error 1
The above is not really concerning to the discussion but it was the fact for my
binary.
I will purchase the origin from now.

Anyway I'd like to hope to be usable edit command without using the forge
packages.

Regards

Tatsuro

New Design Yahoo! JAPAN  2008/01/01