Re: [OctDev] Fwd: GPL question about distribution of interface between G

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Fwd: GPL question about distribution of interface between GPL'ed code and GPL-incompatible software
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:16:54 -0600

On 02/01/2008, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> that since NI isn't willing to open source their stuff that it is
> invalid to distribute such a module to help all those out there who
> don't want to have to write the same thing is (in my opinion)
> preposterous.

The idea behind the GPL would be that if LabView were the one to write
the module, then NI would be forced to open up their code. Of course,
here it's not NI who is interested in writing the module, but its
users.

The intended effect of the GPL here would be to have NI's users harass
NI instead of moaning about the FSF because NI is imposing
restrictions on its users.

I, for one, am entirely in favour of peaceful and thoughtful
harassment of NI. :-)

- Jordi G. H.