Re: contributions to Octave projects

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: contributions to Octave projects
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:50:32 +0100

Hi,

man, 28 01 2008 kl. 06:06 -0500, skrev Thomas L. Scofield:
> I am possibly interested in helping out with Octave development.  The
> "current wish list" indicates there may be a more updated version from
> the maintainers.
New contributors are always welcome :-)

Experience tells us that "do what you find most interesting" is the best
advise for new contributors.

> I would be particularly interested in efforts to
>
> - help develop the imaging package,
Of the top of my head:

1) Do the work needed to get 'imread' and 'imwrite' into Octave. This
should be a fairly easy task, but you never know what kind of issues
arise.

2) I would love to see some feature detection and matching algorithms in
the image package. We should at least have a Harris point detector.
Depending on which features and matching algorithms, this can be both an
easy and a hard task.

> - make Octave and R more able to talk with one another.
I guess this one speaks for it self. I do however think it is a fairly
hard problem to solve in a nice way. You would need to be able to send
at least matrices back and forward between R and Octave. Then an API
would also have to be designed.

> So, along with a current wish list, is there a more specific list of
> wishes for the three areas I mention above?
As I said in the beginning of this mail, we usually advise new
contributors to do what they find fun/interesting.

Søren