Re: distributed version control

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: distributed version control
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:20:28 +0200

On Jan 29, 2008 8:58 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 29-Jan-2008, Shai Ayal wrote:
>
> | For mercurial hosting solutions:
> | http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/MercurialHosting
> |
> | git seems to have a few more solutions:
> | http://www.google.com/search?q=git+hosting
>
> I think you'll also find a few more for mercurial if you do the
> equivalent google search for it:
>
>   http://www.google.com/search?q=mercurial+hosting
>
> I have several options for hosting an archive.  For others, whether
> they have a public archive or not is up to them.  Having one might be
> useful, but I don't think it is necessary.

well, if you (jwe) want to pull from someone, that someone needs a
web-accessible archive. Using a public archive like the ones above
should provide a solution for someone with no access to a permanent
host -- As an example, I work from home and have a dynamic IP, and my
laptop is mostly powered off, so running a server from home is
problematic

Shai