New Function: verlessthan.m

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: New Function: verlessthan.m
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:56:18 -0400

On 16-Mar-2008, Bill Denney wrote:

| Attached is the new function verlessthan.m.

Isn't this called verLessThan in Matlab?

Also, I think this function would have limited utility as far as
Matlab compatibility goes since code written to check Matlab toolbox
versions will likely fail in Octave because Octave may not have a
package with exactly the same name as a Matlab toolbox, and even if
those match, the version numbers will almost certainly be different.
So is this function really needed in Octave?  Perhaps instead of
trying to do something useful, it should just print out a warning and
return.  Whether it should always return true or false, I'm not sure.
The doc string could explain that it exists because Matlab has this
function, but that it is really not useful to check package version
numbers in portable code.