Re: Latest from hg on OSX

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Latest from hg on OSX
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 09:10:21 +0200

Ben Abbott schrieb:
On Tuesday, June 10, 2008, at 05:24PM, "Thomas Treichl" <address@hidden> wrote:
Thomas Treichl schrieb:
John Swensen schrieb:
Has anyone got Octave to compile from the repository on OSX? I keep getting OpenGL errors. First I was getting a compile error that it couldn't find gl.h and glu.h. So, I tried to add CXXFLAGS pointing to either the OSX Framework or /sw/include/mesa. Either way, I get link errrors that it can't find all the opengl functions. I tried to use LDFLAGS to point to either the OSX framework of /sw/lib/mesa, but can't get rid of the link error. Any suggestions?

John Swensen
Hi John,

I'm running Octave with fltk/GL a few days now. It was a little bit tricky to make the fltk/GL libs working, but now I have a nice FLTK window displaying graphs.

I downloaded two new source packages that we need on MacOSX -> fltk 1.1.9 and ftgl 2.1.2. I compiled both from source against MacOSX's OpenGL libs.

For fltk I had to use the configure flags "--enable-shared --enable-quartz --enable-gl" - I also tried other flags but without better results. I also needed to remove the optimization flag "-ftree-vectorize" from my C-,CPP-,CXXFLAGS - with this flag the fltk/GL engine doesn't work. No changes necessary for LDFLAGS here. Once you have compiled fltk, make sure that in the fltk/test directory the programs gl_overlay and glpuzzle display the graphs - otherwise you won't have a chance to compile fltk/GL with Octave.

For ftgl I had to call "autoreconf" before "configure". I also needed to add "-I/usr/X11R6/include" to my C-,CPP-,CXXFLAGS and "-framework OpenGL" to my LDFLAGS. Then the steps configure, make, make install work very well.

Finally, I also added "-I/usr/X11R6/include" to my C-,CPP-,CXXFLAGS before configuring the Octave sources and "-Wl,-framework -Wl,OpenGL" to the LDFLAGS. I must say here that I haven't tried to configure the Octave sources without these flags - I think I must check this out, ideally they should automatically be found by the configure script on a Mac system.
I checked it, "-I/usr/X11R6/include" is necessary, "-Wl,-framework -Wl,OpenGL" can be neglected for Octave.

And I forgot to say that I also needed to compile a new freetype2 because the one that comes with OSX 10.4.9 is too old. Maybe this is not necessary with OSX 10.5.2. No FLAGS necessary for the configure step of freetype2, it compiles fine.

Regards,

  Thomas

Thomas,
Might the current hg compile with fltk-aqua 1.1.7-1001? ... or is 1.1.9
required? ... perhaps fltk-aqua won't work either and I'll need fltk-x11?

If fltk-aqua 1.1.7-1001 is all that is needed, it should be a fairly simple
task to get the current hg version working using Fink for the dependencies.

I don't know Ben, I'm always using the latest stable releases of source packages which for fltk is 1.1.9. Don't know what is included in fltk-aqua? I would say that if the test programs glpuzzle and gl_overlay display something then you might have a good chance that the one as well as the other package can be taken. I hope this helps,

  Thomas