Re: imread

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: imread
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:58:40 -0400

On 11-Jul-2008, Thomas L. Scofield wrote:

| I'll soon be ready to submit modified versions of the files I sent
| before related to imread() so that now they (hopefully) follow Octave
| coding conventions.  The next question is how do you want me to do
| it.  Jaroslav Hajek's instructions were
|
|    hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave
|    cd octave
|    # change some sources...
|    hg commit -m "make Octave the coolest software ever"
|    hg export ../cool.diff
|    # send ../cool.diff via email
|
| Is this what you want me to do.

Yes, submitting hg changesets is best.

| (I might as well figure out what to
| do now, I suppose.)  If so, where should these files go in the
| "directory tree" (they have not been part of Octave before)---this, I
| suppose, will influence where I record a changeset.

The files that define the imread/imwrite functions probably belong in
the src/DLD-FUNCTIONS subdirectory.

| His instructions say "The ChangeLog entries should describe what is
| changed, not why.  The reason of the change should appear in the
| commit message."  Is the "commit message" something generated by
| mercurial, or is it a message I write and send to the maintainers list?

I disagree.  The commit message is just a short ChangeLog type note.
If there are reasons for a change that are not obvious, that
information belongs in comments in the source code itself, where it is
more likely to be noticed and useful.