Re: List of most highly used matlab functions.

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: List of most highly used matlab functions.
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:34:36 -0400

On 30-Jul-2008, Eric Chassande-Mottin wrote:

| >> Also, the license of Scilab itself does not appear to be compatible
| >> with the GPL.
| > Latest beta versions of scilab are under the GPL.
|
| I've just checked out the source of Scilab and verified
| that bvode uses
| scilab/modules/differential_equations/src/fortran/colnew.f
| which is distributed without any licence.

Yes, the copy of colnew.f on netlib also does not have copyright
notice, but that does not automatically place it in the public domain.
As I understand it, the status depends on when it was published, and
perhaps whether it was subsequently registered.  I don't know whether
the ACM would claim rights to it.  It was published in the ACM TOMS,
which at least now distributes software with a "non-commercial use
only" license.