Re: imread (repost)

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: imread (repost)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:33:08 -0400 (EDT)

   > But what does 'not visible' mean? Should we just show the background
   > color of the figure?
   > If so, I can easily imagine myself being confused
   > whenever I see an all gray image -- am I looking at an all gray image
   > or a transparent one?

   Depends on the contents of the background and on the contents of the alpha
channel.  A gray background (as opposed to white or black) and potentially
single shaded images isn't a good combination in any circumstance.

GIMP (after Photoshop I think) has a special 'working surface
background' pattern, a light-dark gray 5mm checkerboard, that is
understood to show up if the manipulated image layers are transparent.