Re: release 3.0.2 again

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: release 3.0.2 again
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:52:14 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Thomas Treichl <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jaroslav Hajek schrieb:
>>
>> hello,
>>
>> due to the fact that I failed to announce a "patch freeze" for 3.0.2
>> and that the tarballs have apparently not been used by John yet, I
>> have undone the release in the archive and fixed the typo (which I
>> intended to fix, but it somehow didn't happen). The intended fix was
>> also noted in the ChangeLog, but not present, which would really be
>> weird. So the current tip/qtip is what should become the release, if
>> anyone wants to build (again). I'll recreate the tarballs tomorrow.
>>
>> Sigh. I guess didn't quite make a successful debut :(
>
> I've finished building the PPC version of Octave.app for MacOSX. Thank you
> very much for that tarball, it works very well on my i386 Mac and the code
> translation backend. There need to be done some more tests for Octave.app
> before upload, but I expect to upload the binaries to the SourceForge server
> within the next 48 hours...
>
> I also read the rest of this thread about recreating the tarball or not
> because of bugs. I here agree with Soren - there are so many platforms that
> we try to support all at once - has there ever been one Octave tarball where
> no bug and no missing feature was found after it was released? Further, on
> every platform we have several choices of using the actual 3.0.2 version or
> 3.0.1 or 3.0.0, eg. Octave.app 3.0.1 has the bug that the -path option from
> command line never worked - the user has the choice to find a workaround
> from command line for 3.0.1 or he still goes on with 3.0.0 and later checks
> if 3.0.2 solves his problem. I vote for "to include the fix for the 3.0.3
> release that you want to make at the end of September"...

Thanks for the effort. I also don't think that releases should be
delayed over and over due to bugs. But I decided to include this
trivial fix because it does not actually invalidate builds already
made and it was really omitted by accident.

Next time, I shall announce a "call for builds" state before actually
creating the release.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert